Charger eNews - April 18, 2017
I hope that everyone had a very relaxing and enjoyable Spring Break! Its amazing that we are nearly into the month of May!
The RUN for our SONS 5K is this coming Saturday! We raised $530 so far for Team CFES Chargers! That means I will be in fact be wearing a pink tutu during the run! Yikes! There are still a few days to go, so please considering joining our team or donating to this great cause! Link:http://www.parentprojectmd.org/site/TR/Events/General/989542552?pg=team&fr_id=4502&team_id=12775
Please SAVE the DATE! We are hosing our annual Spring Open House on Wednesday, May 10th from 6:30 to 8:00 pm! This year we will have a S.T.E.M. showcase in our gymnasium! Check out the flyer for more details!
We will pick up with PSSA testing next week! Our 3rd-5th grade students will test on Monday through Wednesday next week as part of the Mathematics portion of the PSSA. The PSSA is not restricted by time, but generally students take between 90-120 minutes each day. The adapted schedule has resulted in our first and second grade students having their special during the morning rather than the afternoon. So, our elementary world gets a bit turned upside down next week again!
Why not encourage your child to write and illustrate their own book? The National Youth Foundation is sponsoring a great contest! They are working with Robert Covington of the Philadelphia Sixers and Jordan Hicks of the Philadelphia Eagles to launch the Student Book Scholars contest (students K-8). Under the supervision of a teacher/parent/project coordinator, students in the Greater Philadelphia area are invited to work in teams of 3 to 10 to write, edit and illustrate their own books! Mr. Covington and Mr. Hicks will select the overall two winning teams! The creative process of working in teams helps provide a natural environment to practice editing, teamwork and communication skills necessary for future success. The winners and the volunteer coordinator will receive cool prizes and both winning books will be published and distributed to local libraries! All information can be found here: https://nationalyouthfoundation.org/
Upcoming Parent Training Opportunities:
"When Your Kids Push Your Buttons – And What to Do About It"
Revolutionize the way you communicate with your children, and the way you think of discipline.
• What: FREE Parent Workshop with Author Bonnie Harris
• When: Thursday, April 27, 6:00 - 8:00PM
• Where: Stetson Middle School.
• Parenting expert and author Bonnie Harris will help you: Learn the 8 steps to defusing the conflict, learn how to manage sibling conflict, give your kids the help they need to be successful and get back to peace and cooperation, and uncover the hidden messages beneath your reactions and your child's responses
• Sponsored generously by Fulton Bank, and provided by the West Chester Area School District.
• Registration is required to assess attendance, but the session is FREE.
"GET READY FOR THE TEENAGE YEARS"
Learn how to prepare for the transition from Elementary School to Middle School. This hour long presentation will cover what a typical Unionville-Chadds Ford student's behavior looks like, risk and protective factors, and tips to positively impact your child during the transition.
• What: FREE Parent Workshop
• When: Monday, May 8, 2017 from 7:00 - 8:30PM (with time for questions)
• Where: Hillendale Elementary School - Auditorium, 1850 Hillendale Road, Chadds Ford, PA 19317
• Who: Parents, Caregivers, Teachers, School Administrators, Coaches, Community Members, etc.
• Presented by: Kathy Collier - Prevention Specialist, Chester County Department of Drug and Alcohol Services
• Details: Pennsylvania Area Youth Survey (PAYS) data specific to Unionville Chadds-Ford School District will be presented. PAYS data measures several different areas in regards to Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs, and Gambling use and access, risk and protective factors, antisocial behavior, social and emotional health, attitudes and perceptions, and school climate and safety. PAYS data serves as a phenomenal resource for parents and caregivers to gain insight into their child's life.
As always, thank you for your support!
Shawn Dutkiewicz, CFE Principal
PTO NEWS AND NOTES
Hello CFE Families! The PTO hopes you had a wonderful Spring Break! Our LAST AND FINAL PTO MEETING for the school year will be Wednesday May 3rd at 9:15. We have a VERY full agenda and a special guest appearance by John Sanville. Please come and join us.
ORDER YOUR YEARBOOK!!!!
Yearbook registrations are available! Online purchases are available at: www.ybpay.lifetouch.com. Our yearbook ID code is: 11565017. You can also hand in purchases via school, forms came home yesterday!!
TEACHER APPRECIATION LUNCH
It's that time of year to thank all our teachers and staff at CFE! This year the luncheon will be May 5. Anyone interested in donating time, food or drinks for the teacher and staff appreciation luncheon please see the sign up below. Thanks much!
Thanks once again to the Charger community! Together for our sister school, Mitchell Elementary, we've collected 60 boxes of tissues, 33 sticks of deodorant, 10 rolls of paper towel, 7 new backpacks, 4 rolls of sanitizer wipes, 12 bottles of hand sanitizer, 12 pairs of uniform khaki pants, and 12 short-sleeved button-down shirts for the Men of Mitchell program. I look forward to dropping them off tomorrow morning.
AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES
Our last topic of the school year is coming soon!! Science Club will now meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Science Lab after school from 3:30 - 4:30 and is available to students in Grades 1-5...choose which day works best for you.
The last club topic of the school year is SUPER DUPER PRODUCT SLEUTHERS
CHADD'S ARTISTS - After School Arts and Crafts Club
Arts and Crafts club for students grades 1st - 5th.
$120 for 6 Monday classes beginning April 24th (3:30 - 4:30)
Click here FLYER
8th ANNUAL UNIONVILLE RUN FOR OUR SONS
5K Run or 1-mile walk
Saturday April 22, 2017
Race time: 9:00AM
Charles F. Patton Middle School
Register or donate at: www.parentprojectmd.org/unionville
To Benefit Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy
BOYS YOUTH LACROSSE CLINIC - April 23rd! Hosted by UHS Boys Lacrosse Team
- WHO: Boys grades 1st - 7th
- WHERE: UHS Fields
- WHEN: Sunday 4/23 10:30-12 (Raindate April 30th)
- HOW: Click here for registration information and more details
KENNETT FOOD DRIVE - Would you like to help your community by donating food items and/or your time? The Kennett Food Cupboard needs your help. Please click here for more information.
COMMUNITY YARD SALE - May 6, 2017 8am - 12pm - Unionville Elementary School Sponsored by the UCFSD Ed Foundation
Donate your household items, sports equipment, antiques, etc. See flyer for full list of items, drop off dates and event details
PATTON SRING CARNIVAL - Friday, May 5th - Save the Date!!!!!
|22||Run For Our Sons|
|24-26||Math PSSA Grades 3-5|
|3||PTO Meeting 9:15|
|5||Teacher Appreciation Lunch|
|10||Spring Open House|
Unionville-Chadds Ford School District would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Unionville-Chadds Ford School District directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.